All full-time students who start in September on the Halifax and Truro Campus are automatically covered under the DSU Health & Dental Plan.
All international and international exchange students on the Halifax and Truro Campus are automatically covered under the DSU International Students Health Plan.
Contact the DSU Health and Dental Plan Administrator at email@example.com
New This Year
DSU Health and Dental Plan (www.studentvip.ca/dsu)
Starting September 1, your Health & Dental plan will be now be powered by Medavie Blue Cross.
DSU International Health Plan (www.internationalhealth.ca/dsu)
Starting September 1, 2017 the international health plan will be now powered by Intrepid 24/7
Under both plans, all claims for the current policy year (September 1 2016 – August 31 2017) must be submitted and received by the health insurance provider(s) no later than November 29, 2017.
You must visit the DSU Health Plan office to receive new health cards as your current cards will no longer be valid as of September 1, 2017
Studley (Main Campus)
Student Union Building (6136 University Ave)
*Tuesday evenings until 7:30pm
Opt in/out periods (September & January)
*This period closes when fees are due to Dalhousie University each semester. Fee due dates can be found through https://www.dal.ca/academics/important_dates.html
*Tuesday evenings until 7:30pm
May-August Hours: M-F 9:30am-3:30pm
Exam Schedule (December & April): 9:30am-3:30pm
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - 10am-12pm
*Closed during the summer
DSU Health Plan Office (Studley & Sexton)
Phone: (902) 494-2850
Fax: (902) 494-5185
Agriculture Campus (Truro)
Dairy Building (11 River Road)
Hours vary per semester. Please contact the office for operating hours.
DSU Health Plan Office (Truro Campus)
Phone: (902) 893-4904
Important Dates and Deadlines
- August 8, 2017 - Opt-in/Opt-out period begins for students and family. Family applications must be completed each year.
- September 18, 2017 - Opt-in/Opt-out period ends
Please note that once you have opted out of the DSU Health and Dental Plan, you cannot under any circumstance opt back into the plan for the duration of the current school year.
- December 1, 2017 - Opt-in period begins for incoming students. For new January enrolments who wish to have family coverage, you must complete an application for yourself and your family.
The opt-out period for new students starting in the Winter Term wishing to opt out of the DSU International Health Plan.
- January 19, 2018 - Opt-in/International opt-out period ends
- April 2, 2018 - Opt-in period begins for incoming students. For new Spring/Summer enrolments who wish to have the family coverage, you must complete an application for yourself and your family.
- May 11, 2018- Opt-in period ends
*Students are only eligible to opt dependents in to the plan during the opt in period for which their coverage started.
Health Plan Information
- Only full-time students that start in September are automatically billed and enrolled in this plan. All co-op, part-time, distance, exchange students and students who begin in January or May are not automatically enrolled and must opt in during the appropriate opt-in period.
- If you have comparable coverage, you may be eligible to opt out. Please note; there is a strict opt-out period, please see the Health Plan Office for dates.
- All international and international exchange students on the Halifax and Truro Campus are automatically billed and enrolled in the DSU International Students Health Plan.
- If you have comparable coverage you may be eligible to opt out. Please note; there is a strict opt-out period, please see the Health Plan Office for dates.
- This plan is available to short tern visitors, scholars, researchers, ESL students, students enrolled in programs with College of Continuing Education, or any other person enrolled in a short-term program at Dalhousie that does not qualify for the DSU International Students Health Plan. Opt-in is required. Please contact the office for details.
Direct2U – 100% coverage for generic drugs - delivered to campus!
Blue Cross Member App- Submit claims, view claims status, enroll for direct deposit and more